[governance] Organising for multiple forums

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue May 31 03:01:25 EDT 2011

Folks,

I¹m starting a new thread here, following from the many comments that have
been brought up here following particularly from e-G8 that we need to
organise to be able to represent civil society in more than one forum in
future as regards internet governance issues.

Wheras previously our main emphasis in Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) has
been on IGF, we now need adapt to the fact the IGF is no longer the only
forum ­ or perhaps even the main one ­ where internet governance issues (in
a wider understanding of the term, not a narrow ICANN/NRO one) are being
discussed.

In future there will be e-G8, eG20, IGF, and perhaps other UN affiliated or
more subject specific forums where there is a need for civil society
perspectives on internet governance to be presented and co-ordinated.

To me IGC, because of its wide representation and openness to differing
perspectives, is the obvious body to take on this wider and much larger
task. However, it is not capable at present of stretching that far for a
number of reasons.

So I do think we need to put some effort into changing our organisation to
give it the capability to represent civil society on internet governance
matters in multiple forums and through multiple voices.

I do not believe that we could undertake this necessary task without at
least a part time employee and some minimal travel for funding. In order to
receive such funding, we may also need to have a more formal structure or at
least an affiliation with a more formally constructed body able to provide
the administrative functions on our behalf.

I believe we will need to commence to act soon in this direction if we are
to fulfil our mandate in the broader internet governance arena. So I am
opening up this topic to get a general feeling as to how we might proceed
and whether people have specific suggestions. We may need some sort of task
force to work on this.

Just opening this up for general discussion. To me the priorities are

* a structure able to receive funding
* a funding source for at least part time secretarial functions and some
travel
* a realisation that the game is changing and we have to change too

That¹s my initial thoughts.

Ian Peter