[governance] G8 Deauville Declaration

Michael Leibrandt michael_leibrandt at web.de
Sun May 29 03:21:17 EDT 2011

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks for pointing to the missing ICANN link in the Deauville Decleration. Looking at the Principles, I think that this doesn't come as a surprise. If someone sees a „key role“ for governments with regard to IG public policy making, it's consequent not to mention a setting in which government clearly don't have this key role. My feeling is that among governments ICANN is widely accepted now a a technical coordination body, but at the same time there is a growing discomfort with civil servants travelling around the world on the tax payers account to advice an US private entity. If I would work for a national Federal Audit Office, I would at least take a closer look. For many reasons, including the legal setting, governments will never be able to exercise „ultimate public policy authority“ in the ICANN framework. My expectation is that in the long run the GAC part of ICANN will be outsourced to some kind of new or existing IGO. And than we will have lots of fun to debate the formal link between ICANN and that entity.

P.S.: I'm well aware of the fact that people on this list have different views regarding the public policy authority of governments, and that's good. In my opinion, something like Germany's now surprisingly quick exit from nuclear energy would not be possible in a „nuclear industry led bottom-up multi-stakeholder forum“. What we learned since the early years of the industrial revolution is that it's sometimes helpful to have strong political power to balance economic power.

Cheers,

Michael