[governance] IGF plus IGC + only members list.

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon May 23 00:06:38 EDT 2011

On 22/05/11 00:19, Katitza Rodriguez wrote:
> I also would like to call attention to the fact that this list is open
> to other stakeholders including public authorities, government
> officials, technical community, and business sector representatives.
> Therefore, members need to understand that MAG members have a very
> difficult task to share strategies in a public list. Any public
> strategy that we can share here, can always harm our collective
> efforts in spaces where disclosing your strategy in advance is a big
> problem and can harm our work.
>
> I would like to ask the coordinators to create a list for IGC-only
> members that is close to their members. In that way, civil society MAG
> members will be able to provide a better report after the meeting.

Now that we have an online membership database, it is possible -
trivial, in fact - for me to create a parallel mailing list consisting
of those who voted in the last election and self-affirmed their
membership of the IGC.  Members would not have to separately subscribe
or unsubscribe; subscription to the parallel list would be automatic for
members of the main list who voted, and unsubscription from the main
list would propagate to the parallel list.  The archives of the parallel
list could be restricted to its members.  However for privacy reasons I
would like to ask whether anyone objects to being included on such a
list?  Also, are there any concerns that this would breach our charter
(I don't think so, myself)?

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't