[governance] IGF plus IGC + only members list.

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Sun May 22 13:48:22 EDT 2011

On 22.05.2011 19:38, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The problem with keeping a single list is that any strategic or
> tactical planning will be done by adhoc closed groups of self
> selected individuals.  That has happened for years and will probably
> continue to happen.

That is what I meant in my earlier mail.

> Then again having a closed list probably would not work as someone
> would be on the list whose real solidarity was with the PS/ICT so
> everything would leak anyway.  We will never be able to be as
> secretive or as single focused as PS/ICT and a 'closed' list will
> probably not achieve anything in the long run other than to give us
> false confidence that our information was not being misused and
> abused.

I think the main problem has always been and that we are not as
homogeneous as the private sector. The idea to create a new list for
members only is based on the illusionary hope that we could become a
stronger, less heterogeneous group.

> The IGC functions well as a place where a diverse group of CS leaning
> stakeholder groups and individuals (as well as observers) comes
> together to do some things, like present candidate lists etc and make
> generic pro CS statements.  To do anything serious, it must be done
> by coherent advocacy groups like APC or IT for Change and others,
> with the IGC serving as a clearinghouse for coordination when
> coordination is necessary or possible.

I fully agree. This division of work is not necessarily a bad thing.
What counts in my view is that we maintain a transnational public space
independent of any specific organization that addresses IG issues from
cs/policy perspective.

jeanette

  I do not think we can ever

     governance at lists.cpsr.org