[governance] Petition on G8

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 22 11:13:49 EDT 2011

The set of proposals made by Divina requires serious consideration of
the group.

As we speak of IGF 2.0, maybe it is time that we need to look at IGC 2.0
as well.

Especially important to understand that 'multistkaeholderism' by itself
is not a strong enough agenda for us. In order to be taken seriously we
need to know and present what are we substantially aiming for.

I can understand why Le Monde did not find much substance in our letter.
However, if may have bene different if we were clear and precise on
pointing out the inconsistency in the stand of G 8 countries (something
which will play out again next week at the CSTD meeting) when they list
global Internet policy issues on G 8 agenda, but shy away from
discussing the same issues at forums where all countries are present.
And then we needed to further point out why such global democracy in
deciding Internet policies is important, and what it means for the
future of the Internet. This would also have helped us get support of
other global civil society group which have similar problems with G 8's
high handed approach to other global issues.

Can I propose that coordinators take Divina's proposals up for a serious
discussion on this list.

The proposal by Katitza to have an *additional* IGC members only list -
where only some very few issue may ever get taken, and every time with
clear justification for doing so - should be addressed within such a
larger IGC reform agenda.

Parminder