[governance] IGF plus IGC + only members list.

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun May 22 08:03:22 EDT 2011

In message <4DD8CA1C.7040905 at wzb.eu>, at 10:32:28 on Sun, 22 May 2011,
Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> writes
>My pragmatic suggestion would be to form informal and temporary
>subgroups for issues that need non-public coordination.

I was under the impression that there was already three such lists
(outreach, strategy and workplan).

>The membership in such subgroups would be hand-picked and thus
>intransparent.

Hand-picked (if that's how it must be) is a possible model, but there's
no reason for a lack of transparency for the criteria or the members.

>Since statements on behalf of the IGC would still need voting, I don't
>see a problem with that.

I suspect that if a secret group came up with some ideas, that the main
list would insist on re-debating them. And bringing things to the main
list will defeat any element of surprise (if that was the purpose).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org