[governance] IGF plus IGC + only members list.

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun May 22 04:33:44 EDT 2011

McT,

On May 22, 2011, at 7:13 AM, McTim wrote:

> I would not be in favor of removal of transparency by creating a
> separate list.  This is not a war, where intelligence is crucial.  The
> other stakeholders know our perspective and what we want to achieve.
> In other words, I don't think we have any secrets we need to hide, do
> we?

I am all in favor of CS having more open and sustained dialogue with other nongovernmental stakeholders & coordination on common concerns.   But it does have to be acknowledged that the transparency here is and always has been all one way.  People from ISOC & ICC (as well as from governments and IOs) have long been on this list and fully aware of our discussions, internal dynamics, & strategies, but we have no parallel access to information from their sides.  Don't you think it's a bit difficult to build trust and collaborate when the burden of openness falls only on one party?  Personally, I can't think of many examples of successful cooperation built on such thorough informational asymmetries.

Any ideas on how to establish some measure of mutual openness and coordination in order to have a stronger, three-legged stool?

Best,

     governance at lists.cpsr.org