[governance] Principles, G 20 and beyond

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Sun May 22 04:11:48 EDT 2011

Divina:

In both cases, we need to be more incisive among ourselves about what we want to achieve, what we want to press as a priority and with what other partners in the world out there. I would plead as this point for a 10 point
"internet governance charter", as a defining tool for pushing strategy and policy from our perspective in various fora, whether they are policy-shaping like IGF or policy-making like G8/G20 or OCDE... (i'm not set on 10, by the
way :-))

Wolfgang

We did some drafting of principles in the past (APC and others), however in a time of change (from North-Africa to Spain to Turkey to elsewhere) we should - as CS/IGC - rethink those principles, based on the WSIS outcome and taking into acocunt new opportunities and challenges. We have to give also an aswer how CS wants to deal with issues like cybercrime which is a growing point for millions of individual users.  The workshops we have proposed for Nairobi are a very good interim step. A productive outcome from Nairobi could have an effect both to the 2nd Committee of the UNGA (which starts just after Nairobi and will deal with the future of the IGF) and the G 20 in Cannes. The Cannes side-event could become something like a continuation of the Nairobi workshops and aimed to develop a "CS Strategy for Cyberspace".

BTW, both the COE and the OECD are working with "ten principles" and in the US Strategy you have also "ten principles" (p.10). I have compared the three documents and it is intersting if you only compare the titles of the principles in the three documents. (see attachment)

Best wishes

     governance at lists.cpsr.org