[governance] remote paticipation via standardized protocols (was Re: Open consultations)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed May 18 10:57:55 EDT 2011

Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> If you want to exercise some central and dogmatic control of which
> applications people are allowed to use on the Internet, I would have
> expected a caucus such as IGC would be the last place you'd find people
> agreeing.

What I'm asking for is standardization of protocols and data formats
used in communcation, specifically with the goal of internet users
having greater freedom of choice with regard to what software they
can use while still being able to communicate.

Or are you claiming that it is not a problem if network effects of
communciation threaten to force everyone to use operating system
software from one of two vendors, both of them providing their
software only in EULA-restricted binary-only non-modifiable form,
both based in the same country -- even if apart from these network
effects alternatives would exist? That would be a pretty extreme
view of software-neocolonialism.

Greetings,
Norbert

     governance at lists.cpsr.org