[governance] remote paticipation via standardized protocols (was Re: Open consultations)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 18 10:18:56 EDT 2011

In message <20110518140044.D333A15C0DF at quill.bollow.ch>, at 16:00:44 on
Wed, 18 May 2011, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes

>I'm not sure what exactly you mean with the word "standard" in
>"pretty standard application".

I mean that lots of meetings use it, and that it's a well established
and widely deployed product.

>If you mean "widely used and generally accepted", I'll take your
>statement as an indication that this particular example of what I'd
>call the "problem of insufficient application-layer standardization in
>internet-based communication" is an important and significant one.
>
>There's an internet governance problem here. Please let's address it.

If you want to exercise some central and dogmatic control of which
applications people are allowed to use on the Internet, I would have
expected a caucus such as IGC would be the last place you'd find people
agreeing.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org