[governance] open standard for "facebook crowd" interactions; & WiGiT 6.24 & 10.18

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon May 16 14:42:33 EDT 2011

Parminder,

Agreed open specs alone will not solve problems, but the ideas being discussed onthe list are nonetheless of value.

But they may be very helpful in shaping behaviors, and even influencing legislation/regulation.

For example, due to the breaches of privacy expectations of users by serial offenders Google, Facebook, and now mobile apps developers,  it feels like for the first time in US history there - may - be a general privacy law passed. OK, 2nd time if we want to quibble, but limitations of ECPA are wide.

So yes more legislation is coming; as is (some) regulation.

Defining at global level is of course far far more challenging still than getting meaningful legislation through eg a politically divided US Congress.

Returning to open specs for a moment, now is perhaps opportune time to mention 9th WiGiT June 24 9-11am meeting/webconference; and 11th WiGiT, October 18, exact time tbd.

But the venue and place is known: TEDxHarlem, Apollo Theater, New York City.

As you are aware, Internet Rights and Principles will be discussed in a separate session at TEDxHarlem.

If (some) folks want to jump in and help develop privacy and data-re-use specs for WiGiT, and more broadly for sharing - information, data, devices, network, content, applications and services including cloud services; the 6.24 webconference would be a good time to join in. Since by 10.24 Version 1.0 open specs will be announced, with as extensive hook for - your concerns - as  - you all define.

Lee