[governance] IGF Funding and Executive Coordinator Position Issue

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:00:35 EDT 2011

As I heard from the this rep that was also part of the CSTD WG, he
might be gathering the working group members and other participants
present in Geneva to discuss this issue.

I have also heard a very strong rumor last month that some funding may
have reached the IGF Secretariat but I don't know if this has just to
do with the management affairs of the secretariat or is an overall IGF
programme support.

The govt rep had a discussion with Fredrich from the Swiss gov and so
this is a confirmed that the Executive Coordinator position was never
advertised since the budget simply isn't there to advertise such an
executive position against.

Yes, it definitely remains a very key discussion point for both
participants in geneva and that will be present remotely to raise this
issue for concrete clarification because otherwise this weakens many
things for the sustainability of the IGF.

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it, from the outside, there is a chicken and egg situation.
>
> Many of the funders won't release the funding until they know what is happening.
> And UN DESA can do much without funding.
>
> So trust is required between UN DESA and the funding community.  And that seems in short supply.
>
> I have no idea what they are doing about advertising the executive director position.  At the last 'MAG' meeting the DESA representative announced they would be posting a job announcement, and though I keep looking for it, I have not seen it.  Of course I don't know if it is still their intention to post an announcement for this position.
>
> (once i heard a rumor that they had already picked someone, but was never able to confirm that, so i figure it wasn't true.  then again who knows, when you all look up at the dais later this week there may be a shinny new  Chair and an Executive Coordinator - deus ex machina style.)
>

> But I did understand that perhaps some funding was released for the secretariat - though of course it is impossible to be sure.
>
> This issues seems like an excellent topic to bring up in the open consultations.
>
> a.
>

> On 16 May 2011, at 11:24, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>
>> I bumped into a govt participant of the IGF and during our discussions
>> we wandered into the issue of IGF Funding which to date stands on
>> cross roads as there hasn't been any funding made to the IGF support
>> fund by any govt or private sector or cs partner and much more stress
>> were the European funding commitments as was the case in the past.
>>
>> This leads to the issue of hiring someone for the position of the
>> Executive Coordinator of the IGF Secretariat as it is a UN procedure
>> to first have the funding in place before advertising an executive
>> level position such the EC for IGF Secretariat. This would further go
>> down to supporting the activities and participation that were
>> supported by the IGF.
>>
>> This is an important concern so far as it affects the sustainability
>> of the IGF. This might also be an important discussion point during
>> the open consultation and possible mag meeting this week.
>>
>> --
>> Regards.
>>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/