[governance] Merger of workshop "Reflection on the Indian proposal towards an IGF 2.0"

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Fri May 13 10:24:10 EDT 2011

Hi there,

I haven't seen threats. I have seen lot of passionate people trying to
provide feedback in "real time"
during the MAG meeting to MAG members (and getting annoy if someone A, B
or C does not take into account that suggestion).

There are several problems.

a. Many non MAG members are learning about how the MAG meetings works
from the inside. Since all these are new tactics, many of them are not
aware of the dynamic or how civil society MAGs (at least those who are
active) coordinate, call for consensus, among them, etc.

b. MAGs members has not been reaching out to members to collect
feedback. Therefore all the feedback come in during the meeting. This
was my experience the last meeting that I wasn't able to attend (due to
lack of funding) but join the discussion online. I observed how the
dynamics played, and how people start arguing among themselves instead
of focusing on the meeting (using very high-tone/passionate words).

c. I do believe that if we want to improve our self as a group, MAGs
members need to reach out to IGC members before the meeting. Get all the
feedback as much as we can. Sort out difference before the meeting as
much as we can.

d. MAGs members should prepare and read all the materials that will be
part of the discussion during the meeting. Observers (who will be in
Geneva) should do the same so everyone should start with the same
knowledge and we can build upon it. meetings are quite quickly.

IMPORTANT: Please IGC members should review NOW the main IGC program,
see if they like how the main themes are structure (ie: Is people OK
with the Development session, one of the most controversial main
sessions in the program). Do IGC members have any suggestion? Is there
any special point we should bring into the table?  Should we fight for
observers to speak in the meeting? What happen if there are more
observers from the business sector than civil society? By doing so: Do
we break the weak balance we have among civil society reps, business
sector, technical community on the MAG?

Let's focus on the next week meeting so we can sort out our difference
as much as we can before the meeting.

That is my suggestion, Katitza

--
Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990

     governance at lists.cpsr.org