And G20? Re: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:27:09 EDT 2011

Hi Avri,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

<snip>

> As for the RIRs, they have a self declared control on IP addresses.

I would say coordination, not control.

>One that is only partial over IPv4, but will be complete over IPv6 (could this be a reason for pushing it so hard?).

I would think that it is in the CS interests to push for IPv6 so every
device (owned by humans) can get an IP address.

  Replacing IP addressing is hard, a lot harder, than replacing DNS
naming.  But also this control is more prone to national attack

How so?

 and thus requires more energy to defend.  The policy making of these
organizations is open, but it is particularistic and takes a high
degree of energy and expense for people to have an effect on.  So yes,
it is good that people get involved in RIPE and ARIN etc...  and civil
society is involved Milton has led the way and as you intimated once,
we need more Miltons to take on the RIRs.

I don't think I ever intimated that the RIRs need "taking on" in any
way.  I have mentioned that the RIRs are a Model of how CS should act
in IG.

> But even among the RIRs coordination is an iffy thing, and one that certainly does not seem to be open to the rest of us.   If we want to have any sort of voice at the NRO level, or on its shadow puppet the ASO,  we need to apply multistakeholder pressure from outside.

I disagree, we need to be there working from the inside.  The ASO AC
is elected by each RIR community.  I am not a member of any RIR, yet I
can vote for who I want to sit on the ASO.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org