[governance] open standard for "facebook crowd" interactions

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu May 12 12:45:15 EDT 2011

McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> whatever happened to focusing on ACTUAL INTERNET GOVERNANCE
> activities, instead of talking endlessly about shapes of tables for
> potential IG bodies???

Cool idea.

How's the following for a topic?

I think that it should be possible for me to interact with anyone who
is "on facebook" and who wants to interact with me, without having to
put my personal data onto the servers of a company that I don't trust
at all, and which in addition is under the jurisdiction of a country
whose legal system I trust much less than I trust the Swiss one.

Now I'm not demanding that Facebook Inc. should go out business or
that they'd have to "give away" copies of their software, just that
there should be open interfaces allowing others to implement their own
software to communicate with the "facebook crowd" while keeping their
personal data on servers of their own choosing. (And analogously for
other "social network" server based services.)

I have no idea what would be a suitable forum for effectively
addressing this topic.

Thoughts?

Greetings,
Norbert