[governance] Merger of workshop "Reflection on the Indian proposal towards an IGF 2.0"

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:46:56 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Perhaps our MAG members could do something?
>
> It would be great to have an update about discussions in the MAG. I have
heard from MAG members about a month ago that the Secretariat would like to
discuss proposals in MAG mailing list first, in order to arrive at the open
consultations with a draft list of selected proposals and suggestions to
merge.

Did this discussion take place? If so, were the proposals under "taking
stocks" debated?

Marília

> Adam
>

>  Hi,
>>
>> I think Louis  explained the motivation for the merger quite well.
>>

>> On 12 May 2011, at 03:25, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:
>>
>>   ICC/BASIS and ISOC just want to snow the serious issues. A Sesame street
>>> kind of nice talk. Don't merge.
>>>

>> Re;  On 12 May 2011, at 08:59, Marilia Maciel wrote:
>>
>>   In any case, we should just be aware that if we do not merge, other
>>> groups will probably try to impinge us with the political burden of
>>> non-cooperation. We cannot let this stick. There are always several IGF
>>> workshops on NN, youth, etc. So why there can¹t be 2 or 3 workshops on IGF
>>> improvement?
>>>

>>  From the vantage point of someone  who has watched the process for many
>>> years, I think this is an important caution.  The other protagonists, will
>>> be on chat together and will be working to reinforce each others comments,
>>> thus you will face a well spoken wall of opposition.  The civil society reps
>>> are often more individualistic and are not as well coordinated as supporting
>>> each others positions in rapid succession.
>>>

>> In every break, the private sector and the internet community caucus and
>> plan their strategies for the next session.  Often the civil society
>> participants are more involved in being upset at each other for one reason
>> or another.
>>
>> Or at least that is how it looked from my vantage point.
>>
>> My recommendation, coordinate and stick to your positions.   Consider that
>> is is better to have you workshop kicked out and protest than it is to have
>> it turned in regurgitated pabulum.
>>
>> a.

>>     governance at lists.cpsr.org
>> To be removed from the list, visit: