AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 10 09:08:17 EDT 2011

I agree with these comments... Basically i wanted 'unacceptable to many
internet users' part removed....

Agree, that 'us' looks unclear.

also thought 'unacceptable to us' looks too light, but yes adding
'completely' may not be great. maybe another set of words can be used...
parminder

On Tuesday 10 May 2011 05:18 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two issues with the change
>
> -  the us of 'us'.  I think we should say who we are and what interests we are representing.    Perhaps something like .... unacceptable to the IGC, which advocates for cvil society's Internet governance interests.
>
> - does changing from 'unacceptable' to 'completely unacceptable' add anything?  seems to make it somewhat more informal.
>
> a.
>

> On 10 May 2011, at 05:07, parminder wrote:
>
>> Jeremy
>>
>> Can you put civil society before businesses in the phrase ' wide range of business, civil society and technical interests'. That is how UN documents write it.
>>
>> Also in the very last sentence I would like the reference to 'internet users' to be removed. This policy model is also acceptable to the present non-users.
>>
>> I would prefer that we change the following sentence
>>
>> "The strong support that many G8 countries, including your own, have shown for full multistakeholder participation makes this current decision to limit discussion to vested interests of governments' industry partners is baffling and is unacceptable to many of the users of the Internet."

>> "The strong support that many G8 countries, including your own, have shown for full multistakeholder participation in relation to the UN's Internet Governance Forum makes this current decision to limit discussion to vested interests of governments' industry partners  baffling, and in any case completely unacceptable to us."
>>
>> parminder
>>
>> On Tuesday 10 May 2011 12:57 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>>> Here's another consolidated draft, with all the generally-agreed changes suggested so far.  As suggested, we'll also have a tweaked version of this with a catchy headline as a press release, and for translating into French.
>>>
>>> --- begins ---
>>>
>>> Basic courtesy stuff.....
>>>
>>> We understand that the French Presidency of the G8 proposes to hold a G8 Internet meeting, immediately prior to the G8 Summit in ........, with a view to prepare or influence the agenda for the G8 Summit regarding key global Internet issues. We also understand that many heads of states of G 8 countries are expected to attend this meeting. The meeting is especially important since in the past G 8 has set up the global agenda on many key issues, especially in the information society arena.
>>>
>>> We are very concerned about the manner in which the G 8 Internet meeting is being organised which is ignoring current best practice in public policy making. It also jettisons the principle of multistakeholder participation that has evolved globally, especially in the area of Internet governance. It appears that the G8 meeting is organized by large Industry with access given only to industry and government actors.  We have also understood that there is a linkage between donations and invitations.

> [...]

www.ITforChange.net <http://www.ITforChange.net/>
Tel:+91-80-2665 4134, 2653 6890. Fax:+91-80-4146 1055