AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri May 6 06:13:52 EDT 2011

Parminder,

just to be totally clear, I am absolutely and fully in agreement with
you that any attempt of circumventing proper decision-making (which in
many contexts including in particular governance of states has to be
democratic in order to be proper) is totally unacceptable. I was just
trying to point out that proper decision-making in contexts with many
diverse stakeholders is not easy, and I think that we should
understand that one of the motivations that powerful stakeholders have
for trying to take unacceptable short-cuts is the desire to avoid
these difficulties, as well as the associated perceived risk of
failure to reach any acceptable decision. In fact, I believe that the
effectiveness of demands for proper inclusion of all relevant
stakeholders will be limited until true multistakeholder fora like the
IGF have proved themselves capable of creating the kind of outputs
that are necessary for guiding the way forward.

This is not an argument against drafting the kind of IGC statement
that you have proposed. I'm fully in favor of IGC speaking out as
have proposed.

Greetings,
Norbert

     governance at lists.cpsr.org