AW: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri May 6 05:22:31 EDT 2011

Dear list,

Sorry for coming this late. I just came back from one week visit to the
earthquake/tsunami devastated areas again and could not really
put attention to the list discussion. I have only glanced this thread, not
in detail yet, I must say.

However, thanks Parminder for bringing this matter up, and agree with
all to have IGC statement in time.

I was an official proxy to Professor Kumon, head of GLOCOM, and
participated in G8DOT Force, and also brought Adam there.

I don't have much time now to write in details, but will try later.
Bertrand that time working for French Foreign ministry was
very much involved in the DOT Force, and supported the Non-profit
organization (NPO) participation - I believe it was called "tripartite".
And my both then, Prof Kumon , was asked by the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs of Japan, after the first DOT Force meeting in Tokyo since
there was no NPO they could put while all other countries could.
So prof. Kumon  told MOFA to put me as proxy and they accepted it.

US government was undergoing the leadership change from 2001,
from Clinton to Bush administration, yet Marckle Foundation was trying to
be inside this tripartite and lobbied Clinton admin I recall.

In any case, this French meeting shows a very bad direction and
we should really make the case. It is almost the first major set-back
from civil society in the global ICT policy and governance stage since
2001.

izumi

     governance at lists.cpsr.org