[governance] the forthcoming MAG meeting and open consultations

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:59:58 EDT 2011

From my experience online participation in meetings is good for certain
types of discussions/interactions--information exchange, one way
transmission, interchanges where there is a clear agenda and a fairly clear
set of decisions to be made.

It is much less useful in contexts such where there is a lot of back and
forth discussion (especially if people don't know each other very well and
the subjects are not clear cut), or where there is a lot of politiking, or
where the objective is making contacts/schmoozing/informal deal making...

My guess is that for a lot of people, the IGF is or they would like it to be
of the second variety rather than the first.

Mike