[governance] the forthcoming MAG meeting and open consultations

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed May 4 07:38:48 EDT 2011

On 3 May 2011, at 11:04, Jean-Louis FULLSACK wrote:

> Let me just add that the dissolution of IGF in this WSIS process without consistency, spirit and goal, means a "1st class burial" for the IGF, as well as for the Financing Mechanisms for WSIS goals in DCs, the second hot potatoe of the WSIS, that I'm asking for since the first prepcoms of the Tunis phase. With the success you can check in reading the 2011 Forum programme ...

As I have been reading all of the material on future IGF meetings, I too have found myself mourning the apparent demise of the IGF.  Sometimes I think it is being ripped asunder in a tug of war between ITU and DESA and at other times I think it is just being killed with neglect.

Unfortunately I don't even think it is a first class burial.  I think a first class burial might have come in 2015 when people looked at the products of the IGF and looked at the progress of multistakeholder participation in the seats of Internet power, however we define them, and said, "you know it has done its job." Now I worry it will never be allowed to do its job.  Many of us disagreed on exactly what its job was, but I think we mostly believed it had a job.  Since leaving the secretariat I have despaired at what I see happening and not happening.  I do not know how much time is left for saving the patient.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org