[governance] the forthcoming MAG meeting and open consultations

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 3 01:14:18 EDT 2011

Hi All

I wonder who all will attend the forthcoming open consultations and the
MAG meeting (which, as on the last few occasions, is expected to be
partly open). I myself am unable to attend because of the absence of
funding support.

I see a few important new elements vis a vis the forthcoming meeting,
which I bring to your collective attention

1) Unlike all earlier times, the MAG has not been re-constituted before
the May meeting. I am not sure why, and what does this mean.

2) There is no funding support for civil society MAG members from
developing countries, unlike earlier times, and I expect most to them to
be unable to attend. This puts a huge question-mark on the legitimacy of
the preparatory process, especially from civil society point of view. I
think we should raise this issue. I expect the room to be filled by
non-government actors from developed countries, and obviously the
conversation will be determined and lead by them (which, because of a
variety of factors, do often happen in any case; it will simply be,
shall I say, much worse this time).  I have on numerous occasions asked
the IGF secretariat for  data about additional participants that turn up
in open MAG meeting. I have even sent reminders but never got  a
response. So much for transparency.

3) Interestingly, for the first time, registration for open
consultations and attending MAG meetings is a part of the registration
for the WSIS forum. While I am all for convergences and doing a dialogue
in common spaces with shared participants etc, I wonder if this new
arrangement is entirely innocent, and if some may want to read something
in this new development. I must mention here that one country at the WG
on IGF improvements meeting strongly advocated for some kind of merger
of the IGF process with the WSIS forum process.

Parminder