[governance] Help from MAG colleagues

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri Mar 25 07:17:04 EDT 2011

Roland and Jeremy,

I am on the CSTD WG, and what your wrote is largely true, but,
one of the motivations for me to get selected is the have somewhat
more coordination amongst the CS based members of the WG
so that if not united, we keep coherent voices from CS more effectively.

We are not doing too good, I admit, say compared with Business
and technical community,as they have regular meetings in the
morning and evening, mostly, but we are doing our best,
thanks to your [positive] pressures ;-)

Of course on certain areas five of us (Wolfgang, Anriette, Marilia, Parminder
and myself) do not share one view or positions, since often
civil society members have very diverse views, backgrounds and
expertise that is our strength, not weakness.

izumi

2011/3/25 Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com>:
> In message <E9383D70-011A-4426-BEDE-543D202C76FF at psg.com>, at 09:59:50
> on Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> writes
>>all of the non governmental representatives represent only themselves, they are appointed in their own capacity no matter who has suggested
>>them.
>>
>>and though they are suggested by some group, but that does not necessarily mean that they belong to that group.
>>
>>and except for future selections they have no accountability to that group.  and since they do not have to be renewed each year, they can
>>continue for 3 years without any reconfirmation.
>>
>>the IGC can scream all it wants to about someone it nominated who does not do what the IGC wishes, and there is nothing they can do about it.
>>
>>the link of a MAG member to their stakeholder group is purely voluntary on the part of the member.  some have may be faithful to their groups
>>and some may do exactly as they pleased without any concern for who nominated them - it is up to the individual.
>
> And I wondered if the same thing was true of the people at the CSTD WG,
> so I had an email exchange with Jeremy about it, a couple of weeks ago.
>
> He endorsed my perception that they are:
>
>        people speaking "in their personal capacity", who got their
>        place at the table via the Caucus's nomination process.
>
> and he added:
>
>        they are not expected to all speak with the same voice.
> --
> Roland Perry
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<