[governance] Help from MAG colleagues

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Mar 25 06:59:36 EDT 2011

In message <E9383D70-011A-4426-BEDE-543D202C76FF at psg.com>, at 09:59:50
on Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> writes
>all of the non governmental representatives represent only themselves, they are appointed in their own capacity no matter who has suggested
>them.
>
>and though they are suggested by some group, but that does not necessarily mean that they belong to that group.
>
>and except for future selections they have no accountability to that group.  and since they do not have to be renewed each year, they can
>continue for 3 years without any reconfirmation.
>
>the IGC can scream all it wants to about someone it nominated who does not do what the IGC wishes, and there is nothing they can do about it.
>
>the link of a MAG member to their stakeholder group is purely voluntary on the part of the member.  some have may be faithful to their groups
>and some may do exactly as they pleased without any concern for who nominated them - it is up to the individual.

And I wondered if the same thing was true of the people at the CSTD WG,
so I had an email exchange with Jeremy about it, a couple of weeks ago.

He endorsed my perception that they are:

        people speaking "in their personal capacity", who got their
        place at the table via the Caucus's nomination process.

and he added:

        they are not expected to all speak with the same voice.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org