[governance] my humble proposal to add one para

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 06:39:37 EDT 2011

I agree with Izumi but like Anriette's suggestion. This is a frightful
generalisation but it seems to me that disasters have something in
common with the developing world - if you are not in it then you
watch, express sympathy with the difficulties, and get on with your
life. Somehow disasters and the developing world need to be brought
"inside" the issues being discussed.
Sorry - only just woke up
Deirdre

On 25 March 2011 06:04, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:
> What about using disasters, and how policy processes should respond to
> this, as one of the examples of 'policy questions' to be discussed at
> the IGF in the proposals on clearer outcomes? Then you can mention the
> specific recent disasters as examples.
>
> Anriette
>

> On 25/03/11 11:56, Izumi AIZU wrote:
>> I am not sure if this falls within the scope of CSTD WG, but I cannot
>> help propose to add something like the following words:
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>>
>> ---
>> In view of the tragedic earthquake in Haiti in 2010 and the recent earthquake
>> and Tsunami occurred in Japan, inter alia, the members of the Working Group
>> recommend that future IGF should address the role of Internet and its
>> governance
>> against natural and man-made disasters as one of the emerging issues, taking
>> account the paragraph 72 (g) emerging issues and paragraph 91 (on disaster
>> reduction, sustainable development and poverty eradication) of the Tunis
>> Agenda .
>> ---
>>
>> izumi
>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

> anriette esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
> executive director
> association for progressive communications
> www.apc.org
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir
William Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979
     governance at lists.cpsr.org