[governance] China and IGF

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Mar 22 11:38:56 EDT 2011

It's so concise, I can pate the whole text below for your convenience.

I agree with the second point for the review to some extent, not
entirely though.
The First point, I do not agree with. IGF is forum for dialogue, not
for solving the substantive issues, under Tunis Agenda, it's very
clear.

izumi

Review:
First of all, the current IGF cannot solve in substance the issue of
unilateral control of the critical internet resources.

Secondly, the developing countries are lack of resources for
participating in IGF meetings, and the priority of development agenda
has been downplayed, which made IGF lacking of broad representation.

Thirdly, the issues discussed in IGF have duplicated a lot with the
work being explored and covered by other UN agencies and international
organizations.

Reforms:
First, the future IGF should, in accordance with the provision of
Tunis Agenda, focus on how to solve the issue of unilateral control of
the critical Internet resources.
Secondly, the representation and voices of the developing countries
should be increased in the IGF, and the development issue should be
placed as the first priority.
Thirdly, we should seriously consider the possibility of incorporating
IGF financing into the regular UN budget, and provide assistance to
developing countries for their participation in the IGF meetings.
Fourthly, we should follow rigidly the Tunis Agenda so that the
reformed IGF should not duplicate the work and mandate of the other
organizations.
Fifthly, a Bureau should be set up with a balanced membership of
various parties and geographical regions, and its term of reference
and rules of procedures should be formulated by the UN.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org