[governance] Comments on draft submission to the CSTD Working Group on Improvements to the IGF

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:04:01 EST 2011

Dear all,

Sorry for not taking part on the recent discussion about our submission to
the new CSTD questionnaire. The discussion of specific questions for the
main sessions have taken much time from all those involved.

I would like to congratulate Jeremy for capturing so well the substance of
all our contributions so far. The text is comprehensive and clear.

Best,

MarĂ­lia

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:28 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> On Friday 11 March 2011 09:50 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
> Here is a summary of the comments that have been made on our draft
> statement at http://www.igcaucus.org/digress.it/, and the suggested
> changes I'll be making to the statement in response.  Due to the timing
> of the deadline, I have no choice but to put the statement to a
> consensus call later today, so if you have any other comments, please
> make them immediately.
>
> PARA 1: A grammatical change suggested by Norbert; no issue with this.
>
> PARA 2: McTim suggests we get more specific about the IGF's lack of
> progress in fulfilling paras 72(b) and 72(c) of the Tunis Agenda
> (facilitating discourse and interfacing).  I suggest the simplest way to
> do this is just by adding "We give some recommendations on how the IGF
> could do this in sections 2 and 5 below."
>
> PARA 4: Norbert makes a similar remark about our observations on paras
> 72(e) and 72(g) (IG4D and recommendations).  Again, the best way to deal
> with this is to forward-reference: "Our suggestions for how the IGF
> might make better progress in these areas follow in sections 3 and 4
> respectively."
>
> PARA 11: McTim and Izumi said we are a bit too ambitious here.  McTim
> took objection to suggesting that we "integrate the IGF's outcomes into
> the programmes of other institutions".  So I propose we say "increase
> the visibility of the IGF's outcomes within other institutions".
>
>  If integrating into programmes of other institutions' is going too far,
> 'increasing the visiblity of the outcomes within other organizations' is too
> weak, and something, imho, not with much real meaning. We are looking for
> clear suggestions of IGF improvements here - about things that can be done
> and need to be done- and this 'increasing the visibility' formulation really
> doesnt suggest anything to me. I propose something in between these two
> formulations.
>
> 'IgF outcomes should be appropriately connected to the processes of other
> IG institutions'
>

>  Izumi
> didn't want to suggest rapporteurs who would "act as a proactive conduit
> for feedback from those institutions".  So I suggest "receive feedback
> from those institutions" instead.
>
> So, I will prepare an online poll to gauge consensus on the statement as
> it stands with the above amendments.  If possible, please provide any
> further comments (either here on the list or on the Web site) BEFORE I
> post the poll, ie. within the next six hours or so.
>
> Thanks!

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio