[governance] the end of Governments a we know them ?

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Mar 2 02:00:27 EST 2011

I just started perusing the daily report of the ICANN.GAC discussion.
 From the very beginning, governments (EU) plead that they were at
the originating of the gTLD "_market_". Therefore, this meeting is
all about a merchant set of issues and not on the common interest
issues, including the commercial ones. I note that the UK rep gives a
long list of those looking to GAC to represent them, ranging from
government ministers... users... businesses.. .to consumers, etc.
with a single interesting exception: "people".

As Suzane Sene actually put it, this is a pivotal time: ICANN's
commercial reps are now to be governments in their respective
capitals and, therefore, GAC is to lead ICANN.

This is not what we want, because this is obsolete in terms of
society, politics, and technology. What is claimed as a government in
this US presented "GAC consensus" does not match what the people of
the world understand today as what a government is to be. We are in
the Internet age now and no longer in the Guttemberg time.
Governments have the same mission, but its description must use our
present-day words, not the old words reviewed by the "great pirates"
(Richard Buckminster Fuller) of the day to transform these
governments back into the commercial lackeys of these "great pirates"
(now mostly banks of the FED).

One has the feeling that they are only using the "sovereignty
argument" now in order to impose a "commercial" or "technical" policy
based upon "their" experts (who are they?) rather than "ICANN
experts" (who are they?). Who cares about experts? One only has to
observe the common "constitution", which is, as Lessig explained a
long time ago, in the "code". Everyone can do that on a daily and
easy basis. For example, in circumventing the "governmental experts"
advised ICE site hijacking.

A few years ago, IAB asked governments to enter the field of IETF
expertise in order to protect innovation and neutrality (RFC 3869).
Governments disregarded this call. As a result, what they do not
understand today, is that the "experts" of their limted class 1, two
presentations, a few hundred Internet DNS suffixes, and an unsecure
use of the DNS technology area, are technically and politically
disqualified by the Internet architectural reality that everyone can
and will use once explained. This explanation of the Internet
existing architecture is what IAB, IESG, and those who understand it
hesitate to give because this will probably lead to an international
grassroots revolution against ICANN, and now against the obsolete
form of government displayed in Geneva that doctorally (as Von
Guttemberg ?) discuss the DNS instead of the kind of society that the
people want to support in forty years.

Regarding Suzane Sene and Dee, etc. the true problem for us is to
know if they want to gag humanity in becoming the ICANN leader and
give ICANN a monopoly on naming (which has to extend to all the terms
used by the 22,500 existing language entities if it is to be
efficient), or in using the ICANN forum to affirm the global
positions that they intend to locally impose even outside of the
ICANN area (without a monopoly on words it has no use). In both
cases, it is a Gaddafi strategy that the people revolution will have
to address differently: either in ignoring or disregarding it until a
new governmental conception has emerged for our time. Neither
Tunisia, nor Egypt, nor Lybia, nor Iran, etc. has used a TLD, they
used twitter naming.

jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org