[governance] MAG meeting

Hellmonds, Peter (NSN - DE/Munich) peter.hellmonds at nsn.com
Tue Mar 1 18:50:18 EST 2011

Hello all,

time to step out of my lurkerdom and speak up to help clarify things.

Adam wrote:
>I think there was a goal of one third per rotation.

Roland replied:
> Yes, there's a subtle difference between aiming for a 3yr tenure where

> the longest-serving 1/3 retire each year, and replacing 1/3 of the
> members.
> There's a middle course, which is to put the longest-serving 1/3 "up
for
> re-selection", which could mean having a 6yr stint. And would give
some
> security of tenure to newly appointed people.
> But as this is all happening inside a black box, we don't really know
> what the methodology is.

According to my recollection, no specification about the rotation
principle was made that called for swapping out the entire group at some
point in time. No rule about longest-serving members having to go after
a defined period of time, or that a 3-year term or renewal of any such
3-year term would exist or not. This was simply not on the agenda at any
time to introduce lengthy procedures and rules, which would have been
difficult to agree to, considering the non-negotiating role of the MAG,
and the need to remain efficient, given the constraints of time etc.

I recall that there was broad consensus along those lines:
a) approximately 1/3 of members would rotate, taking into account gender
and regional balance
b) no set process for different stakeholder groups, but they may name
candidates amongst which the new MAG members would be selected
c) basically support for a "black box" approach, under the formal
decision by the UN SG (with the tacit understanding that this was fine
as long as the black box was managed ably by Nitin and Markus in
assuring proper balancing of stakeholder groups and interests)

We did publish reports of the mailing list contributions at the time,
anonymized to account for Chatham House Rules. See:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/magabout/110-magdigest

According to one mail, "[t]he principles and modalities of the MAG
renewal are set out in the Summary Record of the MAG meeting on 27-28
February 2008." That report can be found here:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/AGD/MAG.Summary.28.02.2008.v3.pdf

And I found a follow-up discussion on the rotation principles was held
in March 2008. Excerpts of the MAG Meeting report were cited in the
contribution by Writer A beginning on page 3 of this record:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/AGD/AG%20emails%2010mar08.pdf and there
were other contributions following up on that later on.

Hope this helps to refresh memories and to brig up to speed those who
may have joined the discussion at a later time.

As for the discussion about the future process of rotation, I would
guess this would be up to the IGF MAG itself or would be on the agenda
of the UN CSTD Working Group on IGF Improvements (UN-CSTD-WG-IGF-I :-)).
The precedent we did set was to rely on the black box approach. Whether
it was wise not to take care of the time when neither Nitin nor Markus
would be present is another story.

Peter

--
Roland Perry