[governance] Can Icann really be necessary?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jun 27 10:59:37 EDT 2011

In message <895009.91241.qm at web161004.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>, at 06:54:27
on Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> writes

>Yes you are right, but even now the same theme can be applied as
>.online so your business on UK and its consumers may enjoy email or
>web-portals with uk.online other may have us.online, pk.online,

.net was almost such a gtld, but much misunderstood (the idea was it
named the network infrastructure, not the users). Many people ignored
that.

>but this may also have other alternate usage as well,
>me.online, ibm.online, kids.online, jobs.online, policies.online or
>music.online

That's yet another category of new TLD, where a generic word (like
"online", or even a city like .paris) can be used to form a multitude of
second level domains.

 >This is because you have came out of circle of (limitation), by leaving
 >the trade-name aside.

It's different from a trademark or marketing/vanity domain such as
.pepsi, and what's important to realise that with all this diversity of
purpose, one business plan does not fit all.

Thanks

Imran Ahmed Shah