[governance] Can Icann really be necessary?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 09:34:38 EDT 2011

Hi, Avri Thanks you for your support.

1.    First of all, would you please select the any subject proposed in my
previous email or any other topic to replace the current one, as our discussion
is relating to give benefit to Developing Economies, Reduction of Overall Cost
(incl fee) for non-Commercial applicants as well as non-commercial namespace.

>In all seriousness - to the extent that is possible after a flight from
>Singapore, as a member of the JAS WG which is trying to get the fees lowered for
>qualified applicants from developing economies and to get other assistance since
>the application fee is, as you indicated, just the tip of iceberg,  I would
>appreciate assistance and comment from the IGC community.

2.    Would you please share the information / basis of the following fee
structure defined or proposed by JAS WG?
a.    Applicants must be capable of contributing $45,000 towards ICANN's
application fee, unless ICANN waives, or lowers application fees.
b.    the applicant must be capable of contributing a quarter of the scheduled
fee.
c.    Applicants must be capable of contributing $45,000 towards registry
operational costs, if the applicant proposes tooperate its own registry platform

e.      Waive (consensus for this in the Milestone report) the Program
Development Costs (US$26,000)
         Q:           {is it reduced cost, or after reduction? Or the cost which
is proposed to be waived off}

f.       Lower risk/contingency cost (US$60,000)
g.      Review Base cost (US$100,000) to see if reduction can be made

Q:{And Finally, the figure of 76% and capability of $45,000 came from where? Is
it any estimation of by JSA WG that a standard organization from developing
economies has surplus budget about this? to invest for the Internet Community
welfare scheme like participation of new gTLDs?}

 P.S. Hopefully the next communication would be with the new subject.

Thanks

Imran Ahmed Shah