[governance] Regulatory reforms Netherlands

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Jun 25 05:23:44 EDT 2011

In message <4E057AAE.8020607 at itforchange.net>, at 11:35:34 on Sat, 25
Jun 2011, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes

>I am eager to know what happens if instead of levying extra charges on
>a particular service, if a particular service, or a package of them,
>are being offered at a price less than that of the public Internet.

Oddly enough, just one of the several networks in the UK offers a
special package for mobile phones which *includes* what "unlimited use
of Skype", rather than trying to reduce their customers' use of Skype.

It's of more than passing interest what happens to contracts they've
established for this product, if a future regulator rules it illegal.

Here's the url (not posted as an endorsement or advertisement, but for
academic study):

http://www.three.co.uk/Pay_Monthly/SIM_Only/Free_stuff/Skype

What's intriguing about this apparently mould-breaking service is that
it uses a *voice* circuit from the handset to a Skype server in their
network, and is therefore not employing Internet data over the wireless
local loop (from handset to base station) to carry the Skype traffic.
Indeed, the reason why I didn't buy one of these phones was that its
capabilities for pure Internet data were very limited, and I wanted to
be able to access other applications than Skype.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org