[governance] gac & new gTLDs today

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Jun 20 05:35:26 EDT 2011

In message <95284.33778.qm at web161011.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>, at 23:57:41 on
Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> writes

 >This news will be also celebrating by the richest organizations who has
 >been applying by paying a huge application fee, but as we relates to
 >the voluntarily contributor from developing economies will have to wait
 >for the approval of JAS Work Group proposals, but the discounted fee of
 >US$44K it is still too high to bear for a non-for-profit organization.

(I think we should perhaps use a word like "voluntary funded"
organisation, there are some well-funded not-for-profit organisations,
including ICANN itself).

My own recent experience running a voluntary funded organisation in a
developed country is trying to make ends meet on less than UK$10k per
year for all expenses. I managed to obtain a suitable .org (and
defensive .com) registration, but clearly a gtld would be beyond my
reach.

And not just because of the application fee[1], but also because I could
not install and run the infrastructure required to be a registry,
administer the sunrise period, run an abuse desk etc etc, on such a
budget. The assurances regarding financial stability and technical
competence are just as onerous (some would say more) than coming up with
the application fee.

Of course, some would say "I only want to issue registrations to a few
handpicked friends, and they don't mind about all these things". Which
is understandable, but shows that one size doesn't fit all, in these new
gtlds as with most other things.

[1] Which many people forget was set at $185k a few years ago simply on
a cost-recovery basis, being the estimated expenses of the project,
including administering the applications, divided by the estimated
number of applicants.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org