Quo Vadis IPv6 - Was: Re: [governance] IPv4 - IPv6 incompatiblity (was Re: Towards Singapore)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 19 02:45:46 EDT 2011

On Sunday 19 June 2011 11:25 AM, Karl Auerbach wrote:
> On 06/18/2011 09:48 PM, parminder wrote:
>
>> On a more practical note, Karl makes a clear case of how the Internet
>> has become lumpy and today largely consists of a few mega spaces
>> completely owned and run by corporations.
>
> Actually I didn't say exactly that.

Fair enough.Though that is what I read between the lines when you spoke
of the lumpy internet. You do however agree that what Is say is largely
the trend, right?

> (snip)
>
> Moving away from IPv6:
>
> Personally, I prefer internet structures that enhance the ability of
> individuals to define their own mode and means of communication.
>
> In addition, I believe that it is useful to try to convince people to
> look beyond the baubles of their apps and make them understand the
> value, to each of them personally, of preserving end to end principle.
> However, the pessimist in me says that people will not look beyond
> their baubles and that thus the end-to-end principle is doomed.
>
> Moreover I have not seen enough successful examples of benevolent
> philosopher kings that I would feel safe irrevocably handing over my
> own personal ability to shape my use of the internet to some body that
> claims that it defends (and defines) the public benefit.

A very typical liberal paradox. You have an acute problem at hand, but
you dont know what to do about it, because the only possible way forward
involves deeply political processes. And you are ready to leave the
problem unsolved rather than dilute your ideology. However, and that is
the political economy of the problem, for others, the net neutrality
principle may have much deeper essentialist implications - on their
economic, social, cultural and political future - and they may not be as
ready to give in.

BTW, though I understand the government-distrust, it is no philospher
king to whom you give power unrevokably, it is the social democracy
model, which is largely responsible for earning and securing the level
of economic/ social as well as civic/ political freedoms that North
American and West European countires transitoned to from the period of
the wars to the last decades of the 20th century. I have great problem
with the elitist ennui with this political model among some being passed
off globally as an anti-institutionalist/ anti-political philosophy with
all its lure, and the damage it does to the interests of the people in
the geo-political South.

parminder