[governance] [New post] The Dead Hand of (Western) Academe: Community Informatics in a Less Developed Country Context

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Mon Jun 13 18:39:59 EDT 2011

Just my take on this as I am in the education sector. As far as I know, as I
am in graduate school here in the US, is when you get into a program you
develop a portfolio. Your portfolio will focus on what you hope to achieve
from the program. I grew up in a developing country so I essentially worked
on my goals and how I may be able to fit my training abroad to what my home
country needs. I have developed my portfolio the moment I started so if that
helps, then it is something some of you might consider. There are basically
two things you might want to zero in:

[1] elaborate the significance of being a learner, leader and collaborator
[2] reflect on the impact of your study to your community

It does help sometimes to plan ahead. You should be on top of everything,
too. I mean it's very simple - why major in "*underwater basket weaving*"
when you cannot apply that to your home country?

But let me give you an example that may be applicable to developing
countries: In the state of Texas, we have introduced STEM (Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) projects even on the secondary
level. Some of the schools have been designated as STEM schools and have
incorporated most of the courses within the curriculum. We have established
our own learning models, and part of that is doing efficient Internet
research as part of "exploring" concepts (We employ the 5E instructional
model - *Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend* or *Elaborate*, and *Evaluate).* .
Few years back in the Philippines, we had some Dutch volunteers who brought
some Lego (learning building blocks) to a high school in the Philippines. We
incorporated that into the Science and Math courses. Here in the US, they
usually start with the Lego Mindstorms in Science. So just saying that It
really is easy to incorporate STEM. Maybe work on a portfolio, gear that
towards your community, and apply it in your home country. Hopefully, it
should fit within your country's developmental plans. Mold it within the
system if you can. It's always worth a try (and hopefully this makes sense).
Plus, everyone wants to be globally competitive nowadays, anyways.

Regards,
Charity