[governance] MSism and democracy

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 12 00:46:24 EDT 2011

McTim, my response are below

On Wednesday 08 June 2011 08:08 PM, McTim wrote:
> On 6/8/11, parminder<parminder at itforchange.net>  wrote:
>> Dear Bertrand,
>>
>> Thanks for engaging with this discussion. I have always been very keen
>> to get a serious discussion going on this subject, and rather to the
>> contrary of what you say, it is the multistakeholderism (MS) enthusiast
>> who have run away from probing questions both of (1)  the principled and
>> logical basis of their beliefs and stances and (2) the precise working
>> models of governance that they propose. I hope in this present
>> discussion they, and you, can answer such questions.
>
> I for one have answered # 1 and 2 several times, it just seems that you
> ignore the truth of my replies.

I dont ignore 'the truth of your replies'. The problem you always seem
to speaking about a personal definition of 'internet governance' which I
dont share and neither does largely  the world, as also the IGC. For you
IG is developing standards, protocols and processes for management of
critical internal resources, or the logical layers of the Internet, and
*nothing else*. All your replies correspond to this personal definition
of Internet governance, which simply does not correspond, for instance,
to all the work so many people here are doing vis a vis the IGF.

Your 'working models' correspond *only* to this narrow definition of
Internet governance. And I am almost always referring to the broader,
more political IG issues. You never ever acknowledge the governance
needs of these issues which most concern most of us here, much less come
up with working models for them. So, you are as guilty of the 'deep
silences' I spoke about. And your repeated references to 'I am right now
working on the Afrinic list' and 'why dont all of you come and join us'
simply do not speak to the issue I am raising here.

Tunis agenda had a good phrase for the distinction we are talking about
' public policy issues pertaining to the Internet, but not in the
day-to-day technical and operational matters, that do not impact on
international public policy issues.'

Maybe we can call the 'the day-to-day technical and operational matters,
that do not impact on international public policy issues' as Internet
Administration (IA) to distinguish them from the wider and more
political IG issues that are the main concern of most of us, and of the
IGF etc.  However, before this semantic (or is it just semantic?)
problem is sorted out between us, I cant see how a meaningful dialogue
can be pursued.

Parminder