[governance] MSism and democracy

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:38:57 EDT 2011

On 6/8/11, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Dear Bertrand,
>
> Thanks for engaging with this discussion. I have always been very keen
> to get a serious discussion going on this subject, and rather to the
> contrary of what you say, it is the multistakeholderism (MS) enthusiast
> who have run away from probing questions both of (1)  the principled and
> logical basis of their beliefs and stances and (2) the precise working
> models of governance that they propose. I hope in this present
> discussion they, and you, can answer such questions.

I for one have answered # 1 and 2 several times, it just seems that you
ignore the truth of my replies.

> I have quite often stated my problems with  MSism as it mostly gets
> spoken of and practised in IG arena, including at the recent CoE meeting
> during the panel discussion moderated by you.
>
> Your email raises two specific issues, the first one is
>
> "what I am missing in your very critical comment ("/it is very much the
> wrong direction/") is the proposed alternative;"
>
> The alternative is the original corrective to the shortcomings of
> representational democracy. This is what is spoken of as deepening
> democracy or what we may also call as participatory democracy

I see the current IG regimes as examples of participatory democracy.

I am doing it as I type this email, participating remotely in the
AfriNIC Public Policy meeting,

<snip>

> Deeper or participatory democracy is about getting in voices that are
> less powerful and less heard otherwise into the political processes. Can
> you honestly say that this is what the MS model in IG is doing
> currently?

I can.

look at http://meeting.afrinic.net/afrinic-14/index.php/register/participant-list

Do you think that Farm Radio International, SchoolNet, Village Telco,
Mission Aviation Fellowship, Freedom Fone, Kenya Telecentre Network,
World Vision Niger, Transparency International, Biovision Foundation,
Grameen Foundation, Centre for Internet and Society, etc on the above
url ARE NOT examples of less powerful voices?

 I do not think so. I think it has become a cover or a
> legitimising device for increased influence on policy making of those
> who are already very powerful, with which I mean the big businessin the
> digital/ IT/ Internet space. There are numerous examples of this, and
> what is more problematic is how such huge transgressions to political
> and democratic propriety are routinely responded to by 'deep silences'
> on the part of MSism upholders.

I've never been silent on this ;-)

--
Cheers,