[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jul 28 00:38:03 EDT 2011

Milton

My question for which I sought  a direct answer from you was whether
people should not have any legal recourse with an accountable public
governance entity regarding issues concerning their commercial dealing
with some kinds of corporations selling digital services across borders.
This question directly arose from your assertion in response to the news
item on google- taipei government stand off, which I quote

    Local governments have a lot to do with local things. Or have you
    forgotten about things like roads, schools, crime and law
    enforcement, etc.? Local govts that try to parasitize virtual
    businesses tend not to focus on what they need to be doing. (Milton)

It is clear that you questioned Taipei government's right to do what it
did (calling it parasitizing), when many of us thought that it was a
perfectly legitimate and justified stand of the Taipie government to
safegaurd its citizen's interests. . You empathetically reasserted your
strong opposition to application of any such local jurisdictions to
global sale of digital services in response to a email by Lee

    Keep in mind that the original discussion was not about taxation per se, but about_regulation_. No one in their right mind would support the idea that mere publication of an app by an innovator in, say, Mexico City should make that publisher subject to the regulations of a Thai municipality (and 100,000 other jurisdictions) simply because someone in Thailand accessed it over the internet. That is almost a perfect reduction ad absurdum of territorial government. I reiterate my perhaps blunt and deliberatel;y strong but fundamentally accurate charge that anyone who advocates such a thing is anti-internet, anti-growth, anti-economy and/or has no clue regarding the practical consequences of what they are saying. (MILTON)

And now you suddenly seem to say that

    Taipei said it wanted Android platform users to comply with local
    regulations regarding trial periods and refunds. Google said, if you
    force us to do that, we will withdraw Android market service from
    Taipei.To me, *that seems fair enough* (emphasis added). An
    agreement to disagree; a failure to transact. That should be the end
    of the story. (Milton)

and, later in the email

    First, they (citizens of Taipie) do have recourse. They can insist
    that their government apply local regulations. (Milton)

Whereby, now you are trying to give the  impression that you never
opposed such assertion of territorial jurisdiction (as long as later one
doesnt whine that Google has therefore withdrawn its services).

Sorry, Milton, as is evident from your quoted emails, you clearly, and
strongly, opposed any application of territorial jurisdiction on digital
services made available from across the borders. In trying to respond to
my 'legal recourse' question', you cannot completely reverse that stance
since it is this specific stance you took which alone brought up the
question that I posed to you.

parminder