[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jul 27 14:29:40 EDT 2011

In message
<CAD=1OvfJX=F0zGU=4PDrSZqU_U6-xrsdmiFr2u_SVNzYPy4OAw at mail.gmail.com>, at
19:36:03 on Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> writes
>On 7/26/11, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>> I certainly didn't have Human Rights law especially in mind (even though
>> earlier correspondents mentioned it), I'm interested here in a method to
>> distinguish between those things which we need to think of as *Internet*
>> governance, and those things which are perhaps Universal governance and
>> the Internet is simply part of that universe.
>
>There's some danger that these types of approaches lead to a result,
>whether intended or not, that "universal governance" is considered
>inapplicable to the internet.

There were people who claimed that the Internet was separate entity
called "Cyberspace" and that normal laws didn't apply. I think that's
pretty much in the past now.

>1. As an internet policy expert, you should be in those areas of
>constitutional and human rights laws now, since they are part of
>contract, property and IP laws in addition to being fields of their
>own, and they all impact the internet.

I'm more interested in competition law (or deregulation as it's often
called). And data protection/lawful disclosure issues. Admittedly, this
is because those issues are the ones which affect network operators the
most, and without network operators you don't have an Internet.

 >...I presume, since you're an internet policy expert, that what you
 >publish via this listserv is consistent with the rest of your thoughts
 >and writings, and therefore appropriately nuanced in wording in order
 >to harmonize it with the rest of your work.

Consistency is very important to me. I don't think I change position on
things very much, because the same issues (and often a lack of
solutions) are all around us now, as they were ten years ago.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org