[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Sun Jul 24 06:57:58 EDT 2011

I agree with Norbert.

In most cases (domains), while companies compete in providing products
and services, the standards that their products comply with are 'open'
or 'public'. This prevents a 'lock-in' into the product of any one
company. However, in case of the tech sector, the company that has
managed to acquire a large user/consumer base often creates proprietary
standards which are owned/controlled by it. This gives the company an
unfair advantage, since standards in some sense influence the 'rules of
the game'

Thus Microsoft uses proprietary formats which it changes at its own will
(.doc to .docx) and by virtue of being a near monopoly 'locks-in'
consumers to its products. This is a clear barrier to new entrants.
Though in many countries, the ODF standard has been adopted, the
progress to actually implement it is slow due to the prior dominance of
Microsoft. Microsoft also does not implement ODF standard in its own
Office product (though this is not any technological challenge for it),
simply to discourage the use of ODF and ensure its proprietary formats
continue to be seen as the de facto standard. Similar issue with
Facebook not letting google access contact information.

In the case of Google, while android is apparently an 'open' platform,
recently there was a news item about how google is able to influence the
development of android to a significant degree (see for instance
http://www.betanews.com/article/Internal-emails-show-Googles-tight-control-over-Android/1304973434).
That apart the might of google (its prowess as a search engine is as
much a function of the huge superiority it has through its large number
of data servers as of its proprietary algorithm) ensures no level
playing field, an essential attribute of a 'free market'.

It seems that the market is no panacea for our challenges in IG, on the
contrary, the presence of large monopolies/oligopolies makes the market
a threat to IG goals. Enforcing open standards is one step by which
governments/IG institutions could address this threat. India is one of
the few countries to have adopted a clear policy favoring open standards
in IT in governance
(http://egovstandards.gov.in/policy/policy-on-open-standards-for-e-governance/policy_doc_and_manual_used_in_printing__recd_on_Nov_12.pdf/at_download/file)
though this is still largely on paper. Having and enforcing open
standards can make the field bit more level playing...

regards,
Guru