[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jul 22 05:34:56 EDT 2011

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 22/07/11 15:49, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > In my view, it's clearly a governance issue to either decide that no
> > action should be taken to protect people from this kind of risks, or
> > to decide and implement measures to protect users of services like
> > Google's from this kind of loss of their valuable personal data and
> > online identity.
> >
> > If you don't classify this as "an internet governance issue", what
> > kind of governance issue is it then?
>
> For example, Consumers International is proposing that this sort of
> issue be the subject of an international guideline on consumer
> protection law:
>
> http://a2knetwork.org/guidelines/access-to-knowledge/#21

This link seems to indicate to me that there is a very significant
intersection of consumer protection issues and internet governance
issues that quite obviously cannot be addressed by national consumer
protection laws alone, but need international internet governance
action in addition.

(As an aside, although the proposals at the link that you posted
are good, and although it'll certainly be a good step forward to
get these issues added to international guidelines on consumer
protection law, as far as I can see, the current text there doesn't
cover risks of loss of access to one's own personal data and loss of
online identity due to "account closure".)

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org