[governance] [Fwd: The Not-So-Neutral Net]

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 31 08:43:34 EST 2011

Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <4D4697B7.5060207 at itforchange.net>, at 16:36:31 on Mon, 31
> Jan 2011, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>
>> Net neutrality is being violated wholesale on wireless networks. No
>> one is noticing much less complaining.  One top telecom rather
>> pointedly calls it 'pay per site' tariff plan. see
> >http://www.tatadocomo.com/pay-per-site.aspx
>
> That seems to be a "pay for volume of traffic" plan (eg 200MB for
> 10R's - approx $0.20), which I thought we'd agreed was acceptable.
> [And about a tenth of what you'd pay in Europe].
I am not at all able to understand how you see a pay-per-site plan as a
'pay -for-volume-of traffic' plan (volume being a site-neutral concept).
This is moving towards a cable TV scenario - just many many more
channels. An IGC member forwarded the enclosed graphic to me which is
quite illustrative. It had come out in the US many years ago as a kind
of dooms day prediction.... Now the doom looks so close by, almost
already there.

Parminder

--
PK