[governance] Egypt and Internet Governance

Lisa Horner LisaH at global-partners.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 06:01:37 EST 2011

Hi all

It's abhorrent that the Egyptian government is trying to stifle communication in this way.  It just goes to show how powerful communication is.  The continued activism of people on the streets in Egypt in these circumstances, and the ways in which information is still circulating inside and outside of the country, are testimony to people's dedication and commitment.

I think the Charter that the IRP dynamic coalition is working on could be a useful, international campaigning document in circumstances like this..... We of course shouldn't overestimate the extent to which statements of principles, or even international law, impact on authoritarian, or even so-called democratic, states.  I was asked recently by an activist from Gaza what impact the Charter could have in the contexts she's working in....in which governments wield power over private companies in arbitrary ways.  But if we can build an authoritative document that has broad support from different communities, we can hopefully push norms in the right direction, we have a solid basis for our campaigning work, and can demonstrate the relevance (and necessity) of human rights as a framework for Internet governance.

RE Access as a right....we've had extensive discussions on this for the Charter.  At the moment, we've framed Internet access as a right because it's a constituent element of freedom of expression and other rights.  Frank La Rue, the UN Special Rapporteur for freedom of opinion and expression, argues very strongly that access to the Internet is a fundamental component of freedom of expression in today's world.

International law states that it is only permissible to place limitations or restrictions on expression in extremely narrow circumstances that are defined in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.  National security and pubic order is included, but this doesn't mean that it can simply be used as an excuse. States must ensure that any limitation or restriction is provided for by clear and precise laws.  They must demonstrate that the limitation or restriction is strictly necessary to meet the specific purpose.  This means that any restriction must be carefully tailored to target the specific aim, must be narrowly defined, and must yield proportionately greater benefit to society than the harm that it causes to freedom of expression.  Shutting down the Internet amidst popular protest in Egypt is clearly in violation of these principles.

RE Rule of law....the Charter is pushing for rule of law on the Internet...it's too often ignored.  So I agree with Ian...states have to have a court order to do anything that limits expression.  Yes, states all over the world will continue to ignore this, and courts can act as mere rubber stampers.  But that just means we should redouble our efforts to push for respect for established standards and procedures.

In response to Sala's question, and for those unfamiliar with the Charter project...- the Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet is an attempt to translate international human rights standards to apply to the Internet.  It's a bit different from some similar initiatives in this area a number of ways:

- Each article is firmly rooted in existing human rights standards.  We're trying to harness the moral and legal weight of international human rights law to make sure that the document is as authoritative as possible.

- To make the Charter useful for different groups, and also authoritative, the final Charter will consist of 3 documents:
a) a set of overarching principles which set out the main standards that states should be adhering to;
b) an explanatory document which explores the detail of each article - its roots in international law, whether it's a standard that is progressively realizable (e.g. universal accessibility) or immediate (absence of censorship).
c) a matrix which breaks down the roles and responsibilities of different stakeholders, including private sector.  Whilst human rights are only binding on states, John Ruggie's (the UN special representative on human rights and transnational corporations) framework giving companies responsibility to respect human rights is gaining increasing authority at the international level.  We're trying to work out what that means in the context of the Internet.

- We're trying to make it as comprehensive as possible - i.e. not just focusing on civil and political rights, but also upholding the principle of the indivisibility of rights - including economic, social and cultural rights too.The coalition is multi-stakeholder (or trying to be!!), with engagement in the process from individuals in the private, technical, government and civil society sectors.

Unfortunately, the Charter isn't finished yet...we have a draft that we discussed in Vilnius, and plan to have a more finalized version for the next IGF.  We're currently working out how we're going to finalise it  over the coming months - consulting with relevant experts and different user communities etc.  So please do join us if you'd like to get involved....we need your help!  You can sign up to the IRP mailing list here: http://lists.internetrightsandprinciples.org/listinfo.cgi/irp-internetrightsandprinciples.org

Finally, there's also the Global Network Initiative (GNI) that has already developed a code of conduct for companies operating in countries with limited human rights protections.  Their principles are a good place to start I think.  Whilst companies do have to respect national law, the Initiative outlines steps they should take e.g. risk assessments when going into countries, challenging any requests to restrict expression and privacy, being transparent about their activities etc.

Apologies for the length of the email!

All the best,
Lisa