[governance] Egypt and Internet Governance

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:33:13 EST 2011

In the event that the Internet Access were to be declared a Human Right,
this will be interesting because it could be viewed as a civil right, a
political right, a social right, a cultural right or maybe even an economic
right, making it truly universal or is it not. Either way, it makes Internet
Right an excellent candidate for the debate between Universalism and
Cultural Relativism.

For LDCs who barely have access to water, reliable energy grids, and poor
hospitalisation, lack of educational facilities, their governments would
struggle with dispensing financial resources to laying out of infrastructure
(ICT) and would be torn between directing it elsewhere. This of course
excludes all the political forces and internal lobbying and discretion of
the Government that would cause the flow of those resources to be channeled
to their prioritisation list rather than a list that someone from outside
those LDCs dictates to LDCs.

Why I think the Internet as a Human Right will not succeed is that there are
too many countries who have issues with Access and unless the World can
guarantee the flow of financial resources that would fund the necessary
infrastructure that would give Internet Access as a Human Right, then this
would not be viable. Even if the world through (UN or WB or IMF etc) were to
build the infrastructure that would enable human right access, these LDCs
would be indebted in one way or another.

This is why I would agree with Parminder's argument for an independent
international organisation that should regulate the Internet and not one
which would be subject to any one government's control.

Sala