[governance] Internet blackout in Egypt

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri Jan 28 20:13:17 EST 2011

DARPA or ARPA is indeed the funding source of the work Karl's talking about, though it may have been one step removed via contracts from  BBN to UCLA.

Anyway, in spite of some DARPA vets insisting that 'cold' or very hot/nuclear war was furthest thing from their mind, an innovation that received 40 years of 'seed funding' from - US DOD - well let's just say I always felt it strained credibility to say the net's survivability was not an attractive feature, to the funders.

And I could tell you more about what pushed Berners-Lee's innovations out of - a (Euro) government-funded lab - into the market but then I'd have to...well never mind ; )

Lee