AW: Fwd: Re: AW: [governance] cross-border IG issues

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Jan 24 00:30:04 EST 2011

Parminder

you are confusing issues. A government is a government and an intergovernmental organisation is an intergovernmental organisation with its own statues, rules, procedures, membership, budget etc. From a legal point of you it is the same with the UN, UNESCO, ITU, WTO, WIPO and also regional organisations like OECD and CoE. These organisation of a constoution and they adopt legally binding instruments (cnventions) or give non-binding receommednations (in form of resolutions and declarations). For the CoE for instance members have to ratify the European Human Rights Convention as a legally binding document. Ther CoE was established in 1950. Europe was the battlefield of WW II and the new European govenrments wanted to do everything to avoid another war. And human rights was in their center. The European Humn Right Convention was inspired by the Un Declaration (1948). But the CoE was able to translate the non-binding declaration into a legally binding document within two years. It needed to UN another 16 years to finanlize the the UN convenants and it is non obligatory for a UN memberstate to ratify the two UN human rights conventions. The ssytem of intergovernmental organisaitons i an achievement in hisotry and it is part of the efforts to globalize democracy.

A large number of these organisations have subsidary groups like UN with the ECOSOC and its various Commissions and Committees, including the UNCSTD. They have to follow their rules and this is okay.

Another question is, if it comes to the development of policies, in our case on Internet Governance policies. It should be in the self-interest of governments to enhance their knowledge and collaboration if they invite non-governmental actors and experts into their PDPs. The OECD is and will remain an intergovernmental body, but it decided that if it comes to the Internet (it is only one  issue among a lot of others within the OECD) that it makes sense to have some advise from non-govenrmental stakeholders. And in the Ministerial Conference in Seoul 2008 they discovered that advise from Civil Society is needed and they created the CISIAC, When the CoE Ministerial Conference in Rejkjavik (May 2009) discussed the Internet, they realized that they would need the advice from an expert group and the expert group should include non-govermental experts. In fact in the small expert group (five members) there is only one governmental representative (although two others worked quite a long time for a government).

If the UNCSTD decides to develop a policy how to improve the IGF it was a big mistake that in the first meeting they excluded non-governmental representatives. And if the UNCSTD will decide to develop a policy how to deal with "enhanced cooperation" it would be stupid to exclude non-governmental stakeholders from such a discussion process.

The other open question - raised by the IBSA proposal - is, whether there is indeed a gap and we need a new intergovernmental component in the global Internet Governance mechanism . And please rememeber, "enhanced cooperation" was the buzzword for "ICANN overisght". In the WGG there were four models how to deal with this issue (ranging from a new UN Internet Organisation/UNIO (proposed by South Africa), an Intergovernmental Council (proposed by the EU), the status quo (with the US/ICANN MoU) and a Status Quo minus (without the US/ICANN MoU). The Intergovernmental Council idea failed because the governments which supported this idea could not say what is the level of principle (where governments have a special responsibility for the development of public policies) and how far the day to day operations will go (where the private sector should have the lead).

>From an academic point of view, to re-open this discussion after five years makes sense, because some of the questions are still on the  table.However the environment has changed (including the substitution of the MoU, first by the JPA and now by the AoC). The IBSA countries have to ask themselves - and to explain to the public -where the "missing link" is and what such a new proposed body have to do and how this will become integrated into the broader global mechanism of Internet Governance and how to avoid duplication anbd overlapping with activities of other intergovernmental bodies.

One variable in this calculation will be certainly the GAC. To be frank, I do not see any issue a new organisation can do better than the GAC. Lets wait and see how the interaction between GAC and the ICANN Board will further evolve. It makes a good sense to look deeper into the "GAC Operating Principles" and the practices of interaction among the GAC and the ICANN Board.

I would be afraid to waste time and resources to enter into an endless battle to create a new intergovernmental Internet body which would probably duplicate a lot of activties which are discussed also in other intergovernmental bodies like UNESCO, WIPO, ITU, WTO, UNCITRAL etc. However to have a (multistakeholder) working group which looks deeper into this issue makes always sense.

Best wishes

Wolfgang