Fwd: Re: AW: [governance] cross-border IG issues

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 23 12:29:06 EST 2011

Adam

IT for Change's statement for the open consultation on enhanced
cooperation is at
unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un/unpan043239.pdf . / /

Our view is clearly and in detail presented in the statement. In the
context of the para 8 of IBSA statement we asked for a CSTD WG ' on
similar lines as the CSTD Working Group on IGF improvements', At the
time of writing this statement it was almost universally understood that
the CSTD WG on IGF will be multistakeholder, and that is what the IGC,
and IT for Change had also called for.

My email to which you responded clearly mentions the areas where we had
overlap with IBSA statement - asking for new institutional developments
in global Internet policy space (which is the position of many in the
IGC and formed a part of IGC statement to the open consultation on
enhanced cooperation; listing issues like network neutrality and A2K as
among those requiring global attention; and calling for constituting a
CSTD WG on enhanced cooperation.

So, no, we did not and do not support a purely inter-gov WG on this issue.

Now that the matter you raised has been taken care of, I would like to
hear what all you found as 'anathema to civil society, everything we've
worked for' in the IBSA statement. And whether you also noticed that for
the first time a gov statement to the UN raised issues like NN and A2K,
and in fact mentions human rights among these issues.

Now, since you rightly find purely inter-gov structures anathema to CS
values or whatever, do you know that CoE and OECD have Internet policy
making platforms which are purely inter-gov and have other stakeholders
only at an arms lenght advisory role - a structure much worse than even
the recently constituted WG on IGF... Never heard you and many others so
scornful of developing countries accused of exclusions in forming the
WGIGF criticise these devleoped countries. On the contrary many of these
people enthusiastically participate in it.

Since you had insisted (rightly)that I answer your direct questions
about my support or not to IBSA position, can you also please directly
answer my queries.

Not only other stakeholders are excluded, other country govs are
excluded, though when the policy frameworks are final, these countries
are invited to sign on. I saw such a  scenario  at the OECD ministrial
in Seoul, (Brazil rightly refused to sign on. Some other developing
countries regrettably did). Have you found such exclusions anathema to
CS. If you have, I never heard you mention that.

Do you find it anathema to CS that technical community and private
sector called for discontinuation of 'IG for development' plenary
session at the IGF, and you just need to wait to see what happens when a
session on NN is suggested.

See Janna's email forwarding what Sir Tim Berner-Lee thinks are the real
IG issues. Not supporting these issues, and not doing very active work
on these, is what I think is anathema to CS. When the inventor of web
can clearly point out what NN is, and sees it as something which can and
needs to be enforced, why do so many of us like to keep believing it may
not be so.

When I raise the issue of how US gov has such power vis a vis all the
major digital companies which together constitute most of the Internet ,
you would like to dismiss it as my long standing confusion between
infrastructure and content issues. The fact that such huge concentration
of Internet related power in one government doesnt bother many who are
so much bothered with even a framework making role passing to the UN
which is certainly much more representative than the UN gov is what I -
and i can speak of most in developing countries - consider anathema to
civil society.

So, you may consider it wrong to have a purely inter-gov WG (and I
agree) but I am surprised and pained that this is all that you read of
as value in the IBSA statement. This position in my view is very narrow
and biased, and covering such narrow politics with statements like
'anathema to civil society, everything we've worked for' is something
that does no longer pass muster. So I will request your comments on all
other parts of the IBSA statement as well.

parminder

PK