[governance] Agenda for the next CSTD WG meeting Fwd: Working Group on the improvement to the IGF

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 12:16:10 EST 2011

Dear all, since we have one week to present our contributions (the deadline
is Jan 31) and considering that some of the topics are no piece of cake, I
suggest that we start immediatly and use this list for discussions of each
topic, in separate e-mail threads.

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <AANLkTine7mH6vsLs_z5sf9PZv=tiJbRLW5uZhvuZYrp6 at mail.gmail.com>,
> at 16:42:18 on Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com>
> remarked:
>
>  Still, a separate list doesn't make sense............it takes a lot
>> for many to follow just this one from the developing part of the
>> world.........I like the interpretation for small lists and
>> productivity but it doesn't answer the need for openness and
>> accessibility.
>>

> I wasn't arguing in favour of a closed group... just pointing out that
> newly-formed open groups almost always fail (it's not an IGC thing, it
> happens in all walks of life).
>

>  On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Roland Perry
>> <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <AANLkTim8wekog9D_OLyPVkhpu5x4=TkD9kOZMa2s7skj at mail.gmail.com
>>> at 15:27:25 on Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com>
>>> writes

>>> There's a "Law of social networking" (of which the IGC lists are an
>>> example,
>>> and social networking has existed for at least 20 years before acquiring
>>> that sexy name) which says that if you spin off a separate discussion
>>> group
>>> it almost always dies. That's just a fact of life. Look at the [lack of]
>>> activity on the other three spun-off groups, for example.
>>>
>>> It requires a big commitment to make it work, which is one reason why
>>> small
>>> *closed* lists are the most successful - the people who want to discuss
>>> their business in private are demonstrating that commitment (to keeping
>>> their discussion closed).
>>> --
>>> Roland Perry
>>>

> --