[governance] cross-border IG issues

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Jan 23 08:45:00 EST 2011

In message
<93F4C2F3D19A03439EAC16D47C591DDE03361090C6 at suex07-mbx-08.ad.syr.edu>,
at 22:04:30 on Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu>
writes
>Akamai has created a digital operating environment for the Web. Our global platform of thousands of specially-equipped servers helps the
>Internet withstand the crush of daily requests for rich, dynamic, and interactive content, transactions, and applications. When delivering on
>these requests, Akamai detects and avoids Internet problem spots and vulnerabilities, to ensure Websites perform optimally, media and software
>download flawlessly, and applications perform reliably."

The function that Akamai is performing is getting the content as close
to the user as possible, thus avoiding bottlenecks (and cost) in the
core of the Internet.

You still need the local loop to deliver the content, even content
sitting just the cloudy side of that local loop.

My proposition that it's local loop congestion/cost which is driving the
mobile-NN agenda is unchanged by the use of Akamai (and similar) in the
core.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org