[governance] cross-border IG issues

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jan 22 08:04:53 EST 2011

Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <4D3AA246.2080207 at itforchange.net>, at 14:54:22 on Sat, 22
> Jan 2011, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>
>> The fact that all the above mega corporates, as well as ICANN itself,
>
> I thought you were trying to avoid discussions which confuse
> governance of the infrastructure with governance of the content.
>
>> are as you say are companies registered in the US is a huge IG issue.
>> I dont want my personal data to be accessed by anyone without my
>> consent. And if exceptional conditions of possible involvement in a
>> crime etc are involved I would have it handled only by a body/
>> authority  in whose constitution I have a democratic role, which
>> regrettably is not the case with the US gov.
>
> Then it is up to you (and those of a like mind) to "vote with your
> feet" and subscribe to websites run from different jurisdictions. And
> if you don't think they exist, it's not the Internet infrastructure
> that's preventing it.
What do you think is preventing it?

If your response to cross border issues I bring up is to advice cutting
back to an Internet (or Internets) that fits jurisdictional boundaries,
it is indeed an internally coherent solution. However, I still think
that it is possible to preserve a global Internet if we can muster
enough political  will and courage to develop the necessary global
political system.

parminder

--
PK